Musical Presentation: Organ Recital
Second Presbyterian Church was founded in 1836. The cornerstone of the sanctuary was laid in 1868 and the main building completed in 1874. The church’s rich musical heritage offers numerous programs to the community through its Sunday worship service and an endowed concert series. Second Presbyterian Church is home to the city’s largest pipe organ, renovated with state of the art MIDI capabilities; a Steinway concert grand piano; and a cast bell Carillon (the only one of its kind in this part of the United States).
Trinity AME Church
Muscial Presentation: Adult Choir
Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church was started in 1835; the first permanent place of worship was a log cabin South of the Ohio Canal. The lot where the present church stands was purchased from the 2nd Presbyterian Church in 1861. The wooden structure was demolished in 1920 and replaced by this brick building that they now occupy.
Musical Presentation: Crystal City Chorus
Trinity Episcopal Church was organized in 1826 by the Rt. Rev. Philander Chase, first Bishop of Ohio. The first Trinity Church building was built in 1834. In 1889, that building was purchased by the English Lutheran Church. The second church building was begun in 1890 and completed in 1892. This building served the parish until 20017 when it was demolished. Currently, the parish is worshipping in Simpson Hall, the multi-purpose building. The parish continues to grow and thrive while it decides what may be built on the former church footprint.
Musical Presentation: Newark High School Instrumental Ensemble
The Licking County Courthouse was designed by architect H.E. Myer of Cleveland and built in 1878 for $190,000. It was built after a fire consumed its predecessor, which had been built in 1832. The courthouse is constructed of limestone supported by a sandstone foundation. The building features Second Empire style architecture and is one of the finest examples of the style in Ohio. There are 11 identical statues of Lady Justice, one at each building entrance, as well as a predominant clock tower. The building contains significant works of art, including paintings, sculptures, and stained glass in the west courtroom on the second floor.
Musical Presentation: Organ Solo & Vocal Ensembles
The First Presbyterian Church was established in 1808 by Reverend John Wright. The first church building was constructed in 1816, on the location where West Main St. now meets the Courthouse. The church building remained in use until 1825 when the roof collapsed during a storm and rained plaster upon several people gathered for the dedication of the Ohio canal. A new building was built on the church’s current site in 1832. The structure remained in use until 1908, when the cornerstone of the present building was laid. The new church building was completed in 1909. In 1956 a major remodeling project was completed which included the sanctuary along with a Christian Education wing and a new Chapel.
Musical Presentation: Organ & Praise Team
The Rev. James Quinn and the Rev. John Meeks established the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Newark in 1806 with services held in the first courthouse. In 1828, a Meeting House was built on 4th Street. In 1909, the church moved to its current location at 5th & Locust Streets. Construction on the church began in 1909 and was completed in 1911. First Church ministries include the Child of God Preschool, the New-Ark Area Emmaus Community, traditional and contemporary services, Church School and Bible studies. Special services and events are offered throughout the year. First Church welcomes you!
Musical Presentation: Jubilate Ringers Bell Choir
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church was organized in 1884, and its present Gothic Revival style building was built in 1951. As in other liturgical churches, the parish observes the season of Advent (four weeks prior to Christmas) as a time of “hopeful waiting” prior to Jesus’ birthday. Thus, the large Advent wreath hanging from the chancel arch is the church’s seasonal symbolic focus.
Musical Presentation: Parish Choir
The Roman Catholic parish of St. Francis de Sales was founded in 1842. In the 19th century, Johnny Clem was its most famous parishioner. The present church was built in 1887 in Romanesque Revival style. The present interior is the result of a major renovation projects in 1987 and 2010. In 2012, the organ underwent a total refurbishment. Saint Francis Church is the largest Christian congregation in Licking County.